The mission of Maruho Co., Ltd. and subsidiaries specified by Maruho’s Board of Directors as performing some functions of Maruho Co., Ltd., (see Attachment) is to make high quality contributions to the health of humankind, as a company relevant to the life of people. For that purpose, whether within or outside of Japan, we shall respect human rights, comply with both the letter of and the spirit of all applicable laws and regulations, and conduct ourselves as follows, on the basis of high corporate ethics predicated on the dignity of life:
1. Conduct as a Pharmaceutical Company
- ・We shall actively engage in research and development of new pharmaceutical products that contribute to the progress of medical care.
- ・We shall conduct clinical trials in cooperation with medical organizations, with the utmost respect for the human rights of the subjects. In addition, in the implementation of such trials, care shall always be taken to ensure safety and scientific exactitude.
- ・We shall perform animal studies that are necessary as non-clinical trials scientifically and ethically, with full consideration given to the welfare of the animals.
- ・In marketing approval applications, we shall handle data appropriately, based on relevant laws and regulations, internal rules and scientific validity, and shall ensure the reliability of these applications.
- ・We shall maintain a stable supply of pharmaceutical products having exceptional effectiveness, safety and quality.
- ・We shall unerringly provide scientifically-supported domestic and foreign information regarding effectiveness, safety and quality in order to ensure proper use of pharmaceutical products, and shall also promptly collect, evaluate and disseminate information after marketing the products.
- ・Through fair and free competition, we shall conduct proper transactions and logistics. In addition, we shall maintain sound, fair and transparent relationships with healthcare practitioners, governments and public administrations.
- ・We shall exercise good faith in our dealings with business partners and others, and shall conduct our business activities with a spirit of integrity and fairness.
- ・We shall pay careful attention to the proper protection of various information, including individual information and customer information, and shall establish and maintain a well-thought out management system.
- ・We shall maintain two-way communications with stakeholders, and shall disclose company information in a timely, appropriate and easy-to-understand manner.
- ・We shall ensure a rewarding and productive workplace environment where the diversity, personalities and individuality of employees are respected and attention is paid to health and safety. In addition, in our development of our personnel, we shall support the career development and skill development of our employees and shall strive to improve the sense of ethics and qualifications of our employees as befitting employees of a pharmaceutical company.
2. Conduct as a Corporate Citizen
- ・As a good corporate citizen, we shall promote social contribution activities and strive for harmony and communication with local societies.
- ・As we conduct our business, we shall support the globalization of business activities, comply with the laws and regulations of each country and region, and understand and respect the culture and customs, starting with the various international norms, including human rights.
- ・We shall take the initiative on environmental issues and contribute toward the realization of a society that co-exists with nature.
- ・We shall resolutely oppose antisocial forces that threaten the order and safety of civil society, and shall thoroughly block such relationships.
3. Conduct as an Executive
- ・An executive shall clarify the code of conduct based on the spirit of this charter, take the initiative him/herself and establish systems in order to thoroughly disseminate this throughout their own company and subsidiaries specified in the Attachment. In addition, an executive shall promote such efforts to business partners.
- ・In the event of a scandal, an executive shall work to resolve the issue him/herself and, after identifying the cause, shall create measures to prevent the recurrence of such issues. In addition, an executive shall fulfill his/her responsibility to provide society with prompt and accurate explanations, and shall take harsh action, including in respect to oneself.